Visiting London can be costly unless you know where to look and we here at Wanderlust Women Travel do…Here’s our Top 5 for a Fiver in and around London:
- National Theater (Upper Ground, South Bank) – Young travelers, 16-25 years, can take advantage of Entry Pass membership which is free. It gets you access to workshops, discounts on tours & the bookshop. But what we like best is that it gets you tickets to all shows, on a first-come, first-served basis for 5 quid…and if you don’t want to fly solo, then bring a mate and they get in for £7.50
CLOSEST TUBE: Waterloo, Southwark or Embankment (just over the bridge)
- Brixton Windmill – And you thought windmills were only in The Netherlands? Ha! This old stone mill is a delightful find off the beaten path in London. You can pre-book a free tour online but why not enjoy a guided walking our of the mill and the park for only a fiver! It closes for the winter and usually re-opens at the end of March.
CLOSEST TUBE: Brixton on the Victoria Line is about a mile away.
[embedplusvideo height=”240″ width=”570″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/2j1ypOb” standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/X8GM40oxnZc?fs=1&start=405″ vars=”ytid=X8GM40oxnZc&width=570&height=240&start=405&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=” id=”ep6205″ /]
- Shakespeare’s Globe (21 New Globe Walk) – It doesn’t get any better than seeing The Bard’s work performed in London. Some 7oo standing room tickets are available for every performance for £5. Standing offers the best view of the stage as you are literally at the footboards in what they call “The Yard.” CLOSEST TUBE: Blackfriars and Mansion House are just about a 10 minute walk from the theater.
- Cruise Regent Canal – Grab a leisurely ride aboard the London WaterBus (the towpath along the south side of Browning’s Pool) between Little Venice and the London Zoo. The 30 minute ride is lovely and costs just £5.20 one way (OK, so it’s over 5 but just by 20p) CLOSEST TUBE: Warwick Avenue for boarding in Little Venice.
- Monday Madness Pancakes at any My Old Dutch restaurant. This has to be the best deal around for the budget foodie in London with huge, tasty pancakes for only £5. The pancake house offers both sweet and savory treats and can be found in Holborn, Kensington and Chelsea.