As a kid, the last day of school means the start of summer. As an adult, the Fourth of July weekend means that summer is half over. Go figure! The problem this year is picking which weekend to make it official? The holiday falls on a Thursday so you can launch your girls’ getaway today or a family holiday next weekend. We’ve got a few ideas to help kick things off.
1. Don’t tell The Big Apple, but Chicago is my kinda town…blues, beach and fireworks. What more could you want for a great weekend escape? One of the best places to watch Chicago fireworks, if you’re not down at Navy Pier or on a boat, is from your riverview room at the Trump Chicago Hotel. Be sure to ask for a room with a view of the Navy Pier. If the luxury hotel is a bit too pricey, you can still enjoy the view by grabbing a bite to eat at The Terrace, the waterview restaurant on the 16th floor. NOTE: Since the Trump Chicago is a member of the Preferred Hotel Group, you can earn frequent guest points with your weekend stay. Sweet!
2. Napa Valley – The Meritage Resort and Spa is a slice of resort heaven…resort, vineyard and spa. They also have bowling lanes on site. Makes it the perfect family escape or even a solo travel destination.
3. Santa Barbara has the Bacara Resort. There’s a full weekend of activities starting on the 4th, from steel drums by the pool to a Texas barbecue at the Bistro Patio. The Bacara Spa is offering an Independence package deal for a facial, massage and a glass of champagne for $320 (normally $360) There are Kids’ Club adventures every day next weekend and wine tasting and painting classes for the grown-ups. As for me, I’d be happy with a Bellini just soaking in this view.
4. Get Your Blues On, Portland – As a lover of the blues and anything that speaks blues music, the city of Portland, Oregon is staging its annual Waterfront Blues Festival next weekend. Grab a hotel deal in Portland and enjoy the likes of blues legends John Hiatt, Taj Majal and Robert Plant and newcomers for three days of music.
5. Ritz Carlton Buckhead – get some southern comfort at the glitzy Ritz Carlton in Buckhead, Georgia. You’ll have a front row seat for the fireworks, which are said to be the largest in the southeast and Lenox Square (where the fireworks are staged) sits just across from the hotel. INSIDER TIP: Make a reservation at the hotel’s Cafe Patio for dinner where you can dine on BBQ buffet and watch the fireworks away from the crowd. This is perfect for an Atlanta Girls Getaway since you can enjoy a spa day and shop till drop at the luxury Lenox Square Mall.
WEEKEND SPA DEAL – The Trump Chicago Hotel, The Bacara Resort & Spa and the Meritage Resort accept Spafinder cards/certificates. You can Save 15% on SpaFinder Wellness orders over $200 – use SUMMER15 at checkout thru 8/31/13.